Care/of • Craig Elbert
Meet the vitamin and herb company that you’re seeing all over social media, Care/of. This innovative company’s mission is to revolutionize how and what we supplement with, and boy have they. For starters, when you pop to their site, you answer an easy questionnaire to get recommendations on exactly what you should be taking, unique to you, based on the gaps in your diet or your health goals. This automatically saves us from the guessing game most of us do, and from filling our cabinets with loads of vitamin and herbs bottles that we never even end up using.
Once you determine your specific needs are, 30 individual packs of exactly the supplements you need to take in a day are assembled, printed - with your name – and sent to you. Goodbye loads of bulky plastic bottles, and hello easy travel. Do you know how many times I’ve wished, ‘if only I could just throw little packets – separating my daily vitamins, oils and herbs - in my suitcase, purse, pocket…?’
What appealed to me most about Care/of is that their vitamins, herbs, oils, minerals, and probiotics are cleaner (no harsh solvents, like most supplements on the market), they are fermented for better absorption, AND sourced incredibly well. They also work with an incredible team of advisors including a scientist, doctor, nutritionist, functional practitioner and a naturopath. Lastly, one’s customized packet of supplements for the entire month start at $20/mth. I just spent $40 on my fish oils last week alone!!!! It’s rare, but a company like this makes me wish that I had thought of it!
CEO Craig Elbert shines even more light on the brand for us, and shares a few of his favorite NYC musts!
I had the frustrating experience of trying to buy vitamins and supplements in a traditional brick and mortar store. I wanted vitamin D for myself and prenatal vitamins for my wife. I was also curious what else I could be taking. But the whole experience felt overwhelming and confusing. It’s not a great feeling when you’re just trying to do something for your health or your family’s health and a commissioned store clerk pops up. My co-founder Akash and I saw an opportunity to create a vitamin experience and brand that was much more personal, gave helpful and honest guidance, and was transparent about quality.
An important part of the experience is that we help you determine what supplements you need. People follow all sorts of different diets and have different health goals, so it makes sense that they would need a unique set of vitamins and supplements, but it can be hard to figure out what to take. Our survey allows us to learn about the most important elements of your health needs and recommend the right supplements – and we’ve created those recommendations with the help of scientists and nutrition academics.
We also have an obsessive focus on quality. If you’re taking supplements to improve your health, we think it’s important that they’re made of the best ingredients and made using clean practices. We source our ingredients from natural environments around the globe – our fish oil is made from Wild Alaskan salmon, and our turmeric from sustainably sourced turmeric plants in India and other countries. Most vitamin brands out there haven’t invested in testing and quality the way that we have, and certainly are not transparent about it.
We tailor our supplement recommendations to your health needs. If you’re following a restricted diet or have specific health goals, you might need more of some vitamins, minerals, and supplements than others. The idea that there’s a one-size-fits-all solution misses the mark when creating a custom vitamin regimen can be more effective for your health.
We also personalize the experience for you, creating custom packs with your name on them. The custom packs are intended to make it easier to stick to your daily vitamin regimen – you can easily grab them to take them on the go, or travel with them, and we’ve heard from some customers that the custom packs also help them remember to take them every day.
There are a few nutrients that large swaths of the population aren’t getting enough of.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is an essential vitamin, and we get it from exposure to sunlight and from very few foods. Since most people spend so much time indoors, and many geographies have long periods of overcast weather, especially in northern regions, it’s quite common to not be getting the daily recommended amount of Vitamin D.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: These fatty acids are great for heart health, and while fish is a great dietary source, a large percentage of people don’t eat the recommended 2+ servings of fish per week to get consistent omega 3s. We recommend our Wild Alaskan salmon oil for people who don’t eat fish consistently.
- Vitamin B12: This is a vitamin that you’re likely not to be getting enough of if you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet as it is only naturally found in animal products. Besides that, drinking alcohol can inhibit the body’s ability to absorb B vitamins, so that could also contribute to low levels.
- Rhodiola: Okay, so this one isn’t a vitamin or required nutrient, but it is a personal favorite of mine. We hear from a lot of our customers that they are looking for ways to improve their energy levels, and this herbal supplement sourced from Siberia can help with that. There’s also a fun story of it’s history of research during the Cold War.
- We only recommend products that are backed by research, and actually internally review thousands of research articles so we can provide an honest assessment of each supplement.
- Our supply chain team has been sourcing and formulating vitamins for over 20 years – and they are steadfast in their search for the best ingredients for each of our products.
- Design is important to us – we love the idea of introducing beautiful aesthetics and great product design to the vitamins space. We designed all our packaging in-house, and actually, each vitamins shipment you get features a different box design.
- Healthy living is a key part of the Care/of lifestyle, but thankfully there is an amazing diversity of wellness studios and classes to take in New York. Within blocks of our Noho office, you can try out meditation classes, Soulcycle, Sky Ting, Barry’s, SLT, and countless other fitness and wellness classes.
- There’s no shortage of great food in New York and our favorite restaurants are passionate about locally sourced & exceptional quality ingredients, just like we are. Some favorites include The Green Table in Chelsea Market, Print, a restaurant with an in-house forager, and Ample Hills Creamery, a Brooklyn ice cream shop and neighborhood staple.
- Since it’s almost spring, spend time at rooftop bars or outdoor patios – between Manhattan and Brooklyn there are plenty to visit, and it’s a great way to get fresh air and enjoy the city in a different way.